Sunday, February 22, 2015

Book Review: Rampant Damsels

Rampant Damsels

Rampant Damsels

by Michael H. Kelly
My rating: 3 out of 5 hearts


What do you do when your home is in danger of invasion by a nearby rival and his demon buddies, and your leader the target of a grand assassination plot? You call on a rag-tag bunch of the bawdiest females in your town. Where do you find them? At the local pub of course! Armed with beauty, strength and a great pair of tatas; they fearlessly (or naively depending on how you interpret it) head out to right the wrongs they believe will be visited by their compatriots…through mind blasting, psychotically violent feats.

The best word to summarize this book is – what!? Being the first of its genre (coined ‘gutter fantasy’) that I’ve read, this book threw me for a loop. I wasn’t sure what to expect at first and admittedly the utter ridiculousness that danced across the pages had me constantly scratching my head. Lusty gnomes and killer squirrels are the first of a string of off the wall characters you encounter. I knew that was going to be taken for a ride, I just wasn’t sure of the destination or if I wanted to go.

That being said, the book was absolutely hilarious. The character development was great; I had no problems visualizing both the characters and recognizing their areas of growth throughout the book. The scenes are so well described that I felt like I could have been in the cave with the adventurers. I found myself totally believing the raucous situations that most of the characters found themselves in. I was tempted to stop reading the book after the first tale (which involved a very much failed lingerie party and the aforementioned gnome), I am happy that I didn’t give in to the impulse. The tales which followed greatly increased the development of all the characters. We get to know both the external and internal characteristics of all the main characters. However, the turning point in the story for me was meeting the “living ‘which-way’ book character during the books main questing sequence. Having been a ‘which-way’ book addict as a child, I immediately jumped in and was completely immersed. I constantly found myself laughing out loud at both the consequences imposed on the hapless adventurer party as well as the sadistic “solutions” offered by the book during their quest.

This is a great read for those who love comedy and aren’t easily offended; just don’t expect any truly thought provoking content.

Check out my bookshelves on GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when commenting. Comments containing foul language will be removed. Thanks :)

UA-53616215-2